среда, 16 ноября 2011 г.

Holiday Traditions of England


Christmas is Britain's most popular holiday and is characterized by traditions which date back hundreds of years. Many Christmas customs which originated in Britain have been adopted in the United States.
The first ever Christmas card was posted in England in the 1840s, and the practice soon became an established part of the build-up to Christmas. Over a billion Christmas cards are now sent every year in the United Kingdom, many of them sold in aid of charities.Christmas Day sees the opening of presents and many families attend Christmas services at church. Christmas dinner consists traditionally of a roast turkey, goose or chicken with stuffing and roast potatoes. This is followed by mince pies and Christmas pudding flaming with brandy, which might contain coins or lucky charms for children. (The pudding is usually prepared weeks beforehand and is customarily stirred by each member of the family as a wish is made.) Later in the day, a Christmas cake may be served - a rich baked fruit cake with marzipan, icing and sugar frosting.

6 комментариев:

  1. Thank's a lot for the interesting post. I've found a very interesting facts about celebration of Christmas in the Great Britain. I really like the information about traditional Christmas dinner.
    Natasha

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Thank you for your information about Scotland. I am a tourist and I adore tourism and you help me to know some information about this country and their own traditions, cultural and nature, thank you for helpful information.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Hi, guys !
    We really enjoyed this information. We all like Christmas. And it was interesting for us to discover an information about history of Christmas in England.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Let me make a wish right now: I wish to celebrate Christmas in England with all those charming traditions mentioned in your post.Promise to send you Christmas postcards!! Thanks for the post. Vika

    ОтветитьУдалить
  5. After reading your post I remembered my Christmas celebration this year with my family. Celebration in Ukraine differs significantly. I like their celebration. I even want to be in England at the celebration of Christmas :)

    ОтветитьУдалить